martes, 6 de octubre de 2020

 The enjoyment of the creative act








Self-taught plastic artist living in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Since 2012, she has published on line her blog Espacio Farnelliano, an artist's journal in real time, where she reviews the know-how of her work and details her attempts to position herself in the international art market. Her blog aims to be a dynamic curriculum that shows achievements and failures, the daily reality of those who dedicate their life to art; and at the same time a useful reference for other artists who are also trying to develop their career independently.


Do you remember your first dazzling, your first time needing to capture, pour yourself onto a surface?

      I remember drawing from a very young age. They asked me what I was going to ask Santa Claus and Reyes Magos, or what I wanted for Children's Day or for my birthday, and I always answered the same thing: “papel y pinturitas”, colored pencils and notebooks where I was permanently scribbling something. Drawing has been an instinctive pleasure and my favorite game from then until today.

 

 Did you study at any fine arts school?

      No. When I got to adolescence I was drawing and painting full time and I had too many tricks. I tried to enter an academy and it lasted two weeks. I felt like they wanted to teach me what I had learned years ago. Maybe I should have tried in a workshop and not in an academic schematic structure, but then it didn't occur to me and I went on freely on my own. It was very natural for me to follow my training in a self-taught way.










How would you define your style and what do you look for in painting?

      I am a figurative illustrator determined to paint, which ends up configuring something half-hybrid delimited by the superposition of techniques and textures. My style has, of course, a lot of play and experimentation. The trial and error of the self-taught and the irresponsible fun of who is not waiting to meet requirements to pass the subject with their work.

 

Inspiration, luck or talent?

      Game. Pleasant and peaceful game.

 

Why create more?

      Because it is inevitable. You are not an artist by decision but by destiny. It is despite our good judgment advising us to be something else.

 

Do you remember what was the first painting you sold?

      Yes, at an open-air fair in a square in the City of Buenos Aires, in 1993, around 12 at night, a little while before dismantling the exhibition. The work was Trampa, from the Masks series.







A mistake only beginners make. A mistake even professionals make.

     The same error in my case: I lose artworks. I trust people who perhaps I shouldn't trust in my interest in having my work spread, travel and exhibited. The work goes, but many times it does not return. I console myself by thinking that it is not bad will, that Buenos Aires is so far from everything, that courier services and the post office are not infallible ... But above all I tell myself that each work has its own destiny and that each one is where it should be, although I do not know where that place is.

 

What is the work that has impacted you the most or has been the most influential in your life?

     Many, all self-taught, are formed with art books and visits to museums. There are many artists that I admire: naturally Dalí, Rubens, Velazquez and Goya of the classics, Lucien Freud of the contemporaries. And the greatest impact has been seeing many of them together at El Prado Museum, an experience that I have had twice and that I consider an essential experience for any artist.







Does art tell history, or is history created through art?

     Art is a symbolic language that counts from the creator's personal point of view, marked by his time and his environment. Afterwards, each work determines an individual experience with each viewer, and there, in that exclusive bond and alien to the artist or creator, history is created.

 

Why did you choose painting and not another artistic expression?

     As a draftswoman, aspiring to painting is almost a logical consequence. And in the last few years I have been experimenting with small paper sculptures (obviously more play). I am drawn to other artistic disciplines but as a spectator, since being what I am has been something so definite since my childhood that no other possibility ever occurred to me.

 

Which painter would you have liked to interview?

    I don't know whether to interview but whether to listen to them, see them in their workshop, witness their creative action. I imagine that a long after-dinner with Dalí would have been a wonderful experience.







Do you think that the Gallery matters a lot in an exhibition?

     Yes and no. The Gallery as a physical space matters, because it can determine that the work is exhibited in its greatest splendor and allows direct contact with the public. It can be useful if the Gallery is in charge of publicizing the event and attracting spectators. But the work can also be exhibited in other ways, in not so conventional spaces, disseminated with the multiple resources that technology facilitates today. The Gallery is no longer the only means for an artist to project and display their work, we are no longer tied to that dependency. The massiveness of the internet has turned the traditional art market and its rules completely upside down. And these days, COVID pandemic through, we have been pushed at full speed towards those other channels of dissemination and contact.

 

What do you want to convey with your works?

    The enjoyment of the creative act, sharing a little bit of the pleasure that comes from running through each work. That the viewer have a pleasant moment of enjoyment when stopping in front of one of my works.

 

 What would you advise people who are starting in the world of painting?

    Let them stick with what they enjoy, regardless of the immediate result. Developing the personal voice as a pleasant action, not as a struggle to please others but as the wonderful privilege of continuing to play our favorite game even as the years go by and accumulate. 





















No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario